Monday, January 4, 2010

Love is a Mixtape

If I had to try to explain myself to a stranger, I'd hand them the book Love is a Mixtape.

i was discussing with CRJ (can I link you? do you want to be linked and forever known as someone who reads this blog and who has your blog read by the likes of me?) how i am rereading this book for the bajillionth time. It's depressing as hell, but also funny and happy and music filled and wonderful.

It's someone elses memoir written about my hopes and dreams and fears all set to music i was too young to adequately appreciate. I could fill in my own songs and create nearly the same story, to a point. Right down to the dyed red hair, strong Appalachian roots, and need to express feelings in ways that are best said through the tunes of others.

i would say probably 8% of people would even like this book and of that 8% only maybe 2% would understand what i'm trying to say. bc i still to this day feel like i can never quite say what i mean. i hate that i always end things with 'does that make sense?' bc by asking it, i know it doesnt.

"It was just a temporary technological mutation designed to do the same thing music always does, which is allow emotionally warped people to communicate by bombarding each other with pitiful cultural artifacts that in a saner world would be forgotten before they even happened."

No comments: