Monday, January 25, 2010

and a photo

my aunt joined facebook which i dreaded the day it would happen but i couldnt not friend her. (the day they find this shit, i will be disowned. but thats another story.) but i was really happy when she sent me this photo just now, and bc i post everything for the word to see... anyway:
my mommaw and poppaw. i can probably count on one hand the number of photos taken in my lifetime of the two of them because mommaw haaaated getting her picture taken. this one was taken about a year before she died, 3 before he did.

and this photo is what i always think of when i remember them. they have always been very old to me, where i can remember mammaw and pappaw being pretty young. but mommaw was in her early 40s when she had mom, who was her 10th kid (the 9th that lived), so by the time i surfaced, well she really was old. i love how she dressed in her little pastel church suits and pearls. she left me her pearls in her will for me to wear on my wedding day if i ever get married. at my age, she had already had 4 kids. and i dont think pop ever wore anything besides blue jeans. he did wear a hat a lot and i can see that it is in his hand in the photo and i wish he'd had it on, but oh well. i liked to play in his hats. they smelled like woodsmoke and pipe. if i would ask really really nicely he'd play the fiddle for me.

i was never as close to them as i was to mammaw and pappaw, which i regret now. but any time i miss them, and this will sound silly, but i will go to outback and order the mac and cheese off the kids menu bc with a dash of pepper it tastes exactly like how she made it.

i dont know why i posted this. i think i'm just trying to figure out who i am.

No comments: