Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Deeper Meaning of M*A*S*H

Sometimes I think I'm crazy for good reason, that I dream things and then forget and then remember sometime later.

A few weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night not being able to remember what was spelled out in rocks in the last episode of M*A*S*H. Now, I have no idea why that was important, nor do I know how I remembered that tiny blip in tv magic. But I do remember that it really upset me that I couldn't remember and decided I would look it up first thing in the morning.

Obviously I didnt. I completely forgot. Until I was sitting here pondering life, and it flashed in my brain, Hunnicutt sitting on his motorcycle and Hawkeye flying away in the chopper and it spelled out GOODBYE in rocks. So I decided to make sure I wasn't crazy (or further rectify the fact that I am) and wiki it:

Pierce and Hunnicutt, the last to leave, find it difficult to part. As they reminisce over their shared time, Pierce laments that they will probably never see each other again, though Hunnicutt insists that someday they will. The latter rides off on his motorcycle, shouting that he left a note this time. Only after Pierce’s helicopter has lifted off does he see this “note”: the word GOODBYE, spelled out in huge letters with stones on the ground. Pierce smiles as he flies away from the former site of the 4077th.





I think things happen for a reason and I think this whole ridiculous television moment popped into my misfiring brain when it was supposed to. It probably doesn't make sense to you, but it does to me, in that sad smile and maybe a tear or two kind of way.

No comments: