Monday, February 9, 2009

An Assortment of Promises. Eh, Mebbe Not So Much?

1. I was reading yet another news article about the Promise scholarship this morning and it occurred to me that I have become exactly what the scholarship wanted: I went to a WV school and stayed in state for work. Several of us of that first Promise class have really, Tonya, Lish, several more who aren't readers who I don't necessarily feel comfortable about including their names. I know at least on my part, staying here for work wasn't the original plan. But I don't mind it so much. I almost feel like I should write a letter and be like, look folks. It really does work in some cases. They should help pay some of my grad school loans. I would promise a few more years here if they'd go and do that.

2. We're going to see Sweeney Todd on Wednesday and I am most excited, and not just bc in the end the Todd character gets murdered. (that bit of comic relief basically for Shainna, who would probably liked to have murdered a Todd herself.) The CAC has actually been getting some decent shows/concerts lately and I'm mildly impressed.

3. Am I the only person who's never heard the phrase 'on the lam' before watching Psych the other day? They made a joke about lambs and alpacas, which I really didn't get, until today when that phrase seems to be everywhere in the news and even the comics ( in today's Pearls before Swine). So I wiki-ed it because I wanted to know the origin (one day, I'm going to be a normal person who doesnt wiki everything she comes by) and found this:""On the lam" or "on the run" often refers to fugitives. "lam" means "thrash" or "beat soundly," from the Icelandic, "lemja". The imagery is that one beats the path with one's feet while fleeing quickly." So there you go. That shall be our phrase of the day.

There was another useless bit of info that I was going to force on you, but I can't think of what it is. Consider yourselves lucky.

No comments: