Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thoughts meander like a restless wind

So I watched Across the Universe for a second time. Lame? possibly. And then I wiki-ed the movie, bc anything worth anything is work wiki-ing (hey, even the dorm I lived in sophomore year is on wiki) and I came across a list of artists who have covered Beatles songs. This intrigued me, the wide variety of genres covering this amazing band. I am completely certain that any emotion or event that ever happens in my life, or maybe even your life if you think about it, can be better expressed through the musical stylings of the Beatles than any words I (but maybe not you) can come up with. Today, I'd say my song is 'so how come (no one loves me).'

so. that said. Top 5 favorite Beatles songs. Across the Universe. Black Bird. All You Need is Love. Lady Madonna. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. Here Comes the Sun. ok, that's six. I could keep going. Maybe I can't make a top five.

So. Because also love youtube, for you I present a small collection of other people's versions of the Beatles.

Rufus Wainwright, Sean Lennon, and Moby. Singing Across the Universe. Holy cow this gives me cold chills. In a good way.

Same song, but a huge assortment of people including Slash, Bono, Allison Kraus, and Stevie Wonder. This is awesome. More chills than the last one.

OMG this is the cutest little kid ever singing Hey Jude and you will watch this right now and buy him a pony.

Travis singing Lovely Rita

Michael Jackson singing Come Together. It seems so dirty to think about it now.

Bobby McFerrin singing Blackbird. He's probably the only person I can allow making this sound like a happy song. Bc he dont worry, he's happy.

Youtube says this is Jack Johnson singing Imagine. It sounds like it, yes.

Alvin and the Chipmunks sing Get Back. Surprisingly, those chipmunks have several Beatles covers.

Jimi Hendrix
, the first guitar hero, singin Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. it's a little scratchy. Still awesome.

STP singing Revolution.

Dave Grohl singing Blackbird. He has such a great voice for this song.

Dave Matthews singing In My Life. This song should probably also go in my extended top five. My top five is really like a top 200.

Noel Gallagher singing All You Need is Love. I find it ironically wonderful. I also think the electric guitar in this song is one of the best riffs of all time and I will fight you if you say otherwise.

Bon Jovi says Here Comes the Sun.

I've never heard this band, Reflex, but they do a good cover of Lady Madonna

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
and a fun rendition of All My Loving

Ben Harper doing Strawberry Fields Forever. another awesome song.

Jim Carrey can sing? I did not know this. But I am the Walrus is the greatest song for him and his eighty bajillion voices. and this is funny to watch.

Big Country does a really awesome version of Eleanor Rigby. for a long time i said if i spawned a child I'd name it eleanor rigby..

The Fray
singing Fixing a Hole. A lesser known but still amazing song.

Maroon 5 doing If I Fell.

Garbage
doing Dont Let Me Down. I surprisingly really liked this.

Back Forty is a jam band who does a cool cover of Rocky Racoon

Elvis, circa the friend peanut butter and banana and uppers sandwiches era, singing Yesterday.

Some dude playing Blackbird on a Ukulele. AWESOME.

The Tijuana Brass does With a Little Help from My Friends!! holy moly

Have to include Eric Clapton doing While My Guitar Gently Weeps. thats a given.

This cracked me up. It's Sean Connery doing In My Life, a spoken word version.

Gotta support the John Denver up here. He did a medley. Mother Nature's Son, Blackbird, and When I'm Sixty-four. There is bizarre interpretive dancing and gymnastics involved. I am confused.

Fats Domino doing Lady Madonna. and yes, i did mean to word it that way. ba-dum-ching!

I secretly love Franz Ferdinand. Here's a cover of It Won't Be Long.


**sidenote, Willie Nelson is at the moment Stephen Colbert's christmas special and it cracks me up. interestingly i can not find any record of him ever singing a Beatles song***

I love Regina Spektor and I love Real Love.

I'd never heard of Marmalade, but the lead singer wears a nice hat. I think they must have been cool during the era of music that was so bad our parents started working on creating us. i'd do it to Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da


ok. i've probably gone too far. I could continue. but you can look more artists up here if you want.

I feel much better about life after doing this. I hope you at least watched a video or two and had a good feeling. If I can't make sense of my life, I like to hope I can help you in some small way make sense of yours.

No comments: