Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lennon vs. Jesus vs. Lord Dumpling vs. a Turducken (No really, I"m going someplace with this)

As you all know, I've recently taking a liking to reading this news. This from someone who used to live in her own bubble of content, not knowing that people could really see Russia from their back porch.

That said.

There are some interesting stories today. Bypass all those ones about how shitty the economy is and how we're all going to freeze to death this winter. Here are some I found interesting.

The Vatican has forgiven John Lennon for saying the Beatles were more famous than Jesus. I mean really? It took 42 years for this to happen? I was not aware it was such a big deal. granted i wasn't alive in the 60s, but seriously? hold a grudge much? I guess the article that was written in the Vatican paper said that the music and the beatles "have shown an extraordinary resistance to the passage of time.." That sounds akin to a concession to me. I'm not blasphemizing here, but I think that someone should do a study on this, to see really, if at that time, the Beatles were more famous. you would have to include things like photo (or portrait i suppose) recognition, merchandise, loyalty to attending 'events.' this could be really interesting. or maybe i'm really super lame in thinking that.

Next. The inventor of the Segway has his own energy independent island and is using it as a model to show other people that hey, we dont have to keep destroying our world. Now, reading the quotes from this guy in the article makes me wonder if he's a little batshit crazy, he has some great ideas for sustainability. So maybe he calls himself Lord Dumpling. He's running 3 square miles of land on solar and wind power. It's a really neat thing.

Next. We've been told here at the place of employment that we can 'work from home' on friday. that means i'm heading South tomorrow after work. We still won't be having actual thanksgiving on thursday, but this gives me two days to watch the two most important things: the Macy's parade and the WVU/Pitt game, both being a major part of my life since I was very little. Every year I ask mom if we can have turducken, and every year i get The Look. you know The Look. perhaps I'll do my work for friday on thursday and go black friday shopping. every year i say i wont, and every year i do anyway. it's evil and being on the retail worker end, you just want to murderize those people who show up at 4am with their stack of coupons. I know Jenny loves that damn christmas song about hippos, but because of my time spent at the craft store, if i hear that song, my eye twitches and part of my soul dies. It dies! Do you want that?

Today's Beatles song to describe how I feel, "With a Little Help From My Friends."

No comments: