Friday, March 20, 2009

the value of money

i've been thinking about money today, for various reasons. i think this is just going to be a rambling blog so i can get thoughts on a page.

i had to take the car in this morning bc the Check Engine light has been on. They told me what was wrong with it (but I don't remember) and that it would run around 300 dollars or so to fix. I guess that isn't as bad as the last time, but still. Goodbye 300 dollars.

And then I was figuring up my budget because they're changing our pay cycle at work and our next check will be 36 hours shorter to get on the new cycle. It doesn't matter if you make five or fifty dollars an hour, a 36 hour shortage is a good chunk of money. Goodbye 36 hrs of pay.

I calculated that, at the rate I am currently paying, it will take me 10-13 years to pay off my student loans. Yes, I plan to make more than I do now and try and pay more on them eventually, but. The idea of being in my mid-to-late 30s before I can get rid of these loan payments are very depressing. Goodbye next decade.

But then I saw this news article and I realized that I could have so much more to complain and worry about. I could not have a job, a home, a meal, anything. And there are people out there who realize more than I do what that life is like and wants to help as many people as possible. So I took the money I had budgeted for "recreation and activities" for the month and donated it (which you can do here if you would like to). By not going to a couple movies or not eating out a few meals or buying a new pair of shoes I've helped a few people make it another day and have helped this organization continue their mission. I know I'm a sap and I know you guys probably think I'm nuts for getting involved in every non profit or charity that crosses my path, but I think the more you get involved the more you are thankful for the gifts you have in your own life already. Sometimes you need to be made aware of the fact that it really could be worse, so why don't you do something about it. Help yourself by helping others, I guess.

So maybe since it is the first day of Spring, maybe we can all get a fresh start. Go volunteer or support a cause. There are so many out there and I know one of them has to effect (affect? i suck as an english major) your life in some way.

on a different but similar topic, I've joined the office tournament bracket pool. so far i'm in second place. if i win, i think that will be my next month's donation money. the pool itself has been fun because everyone is ribbing on each other for their choices (and wondering how the crap I know anything about basketball) (answer: I dont, I totally guessed) and making this place more friendly and fun. yeah, the 'prize' is only 65 dollars, but, it could go toward something worthwhile.

No comments: