Sunday, September 30, 2012

I cannot even begin to wrap my brain around this last week. It was amazing and crazy and hot and itchy and beautiful and exciting and wow.

Just wow.

St John is a beautiful place. The city part (which is smaller than Sutton) is dirty and crowded and full of tiny one way streets. But the other 80 percent is national park land. So the views of the mountains and the ocean are just overwhelming.

I'll post pics at the end, don't you worry.

Our trip in took forever it felt like. Plane after plane and then a crazy taxi and then a ferry and then a scarier taxi (that my luggage flew out of at one point) and then finally got to maho bay camp. It's all stairs and wooden paths. My leg muscles got a ridiculous work out this weekend.

Out treehouse was tiny. Screen windows. One box fan. Bathhouse up the hill with cold water showers. We really were camping. But to wake up to the ocean.. It makes my heart explode.

We spent most days on the beAch, either at maho, hawks nest, or Francis key. It's all little cove beaches with either soft sand or lots of coral. The water really is as calm and turquoise as it looks in photos. I wish I ha a good camera and could have photographed everything.

For my bday we went up to the ruins of a 1780s dutch sugar plantation and mill that overlooks the British VI. That was just jaw dropping to see, all the history. We learned later in the week tht where we were staying was the main port in and out of the islands and that the tiny island with a barricade looking crumbly structure outside our window was the weigh station of sorts, where all traffic in and out had to stop.

There were a shit ton of sand fleas that big spray didn't deter. I look like I have some sort of pox with my tan. I still itch and woke myself up scratching last night.

When it rains it RAINS, but never for very long. We played a lot of cards and read a lot of books, which would have happened regardless of whether the sun was out or not.

I'm thankful for having had the opportunity to take this trip, but I'm also thankful for being home in my own bed and have access to hot showers.

The most amazing part was snorkeling/swimming with all the creatures. Including a sea turtle, sting ray, and schools and schools of fish. I felt like my own version of finding nemo.

Maho also has an art studio where you can do glass work and pottery. I took the glass class and it was amazing. Also hot.

I would absolutely go back again and can't recommend it enough.





















-
































Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: