Thursday, September 20, 2012


I've been thinkin about blogging about this for most of the week now but just haven't wanted to really. But. When things are on your mind this is a good outlet.

My great uncle passed away on Sunday. I hadnt visited with him in probably a couple years now. His wife is pappaw ware's older sister. They were the family members who always came in for Christmas and family reunions it didn't see much more than that. It's not that I don't love them, bc I do, but I dont feel overwhelming grief at his passing bc he was very elderly and unwell at this point and he wouldn't have known me etc. I'm still sad, don't get me wrong. He was a good man and always fun to be around when they were around. But I didn't really know anything about him.

While Mammaw was making my birthday lunch on Sunday she was in the mood to talk and remember and so I sat there in the kitchen with her while she cooked bc I love hearing stories from when she and pappaw were younger. And i learned so much abt uncle Russ and aunt freda that I just had no idea about. They lived such interesting lives. They got married out of high school and he traveled often for work and she would just go with him. They saw so many places this way. You could probably count the number of days they've been apart, up until he got sick anyway, on one hand. Mammaw says she figures aunt Freda won't last long bc she doesn't know how to exist without him.

And that's just amazing to me. You don't hear about that anymore. That's what I want out of my life someday. Maybe not necessarily being inseparable, but someone I can be with for the long haul. I'm not looking anymore for someone to complete me, but rather someone to join me on this crazy journey.

Uncle Russ had a good long and interesting life. I can only hope someday to be as lucky.

But please keep my great aunt in your thoughts. She isn't well herself and this is understandably very hard.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: