Sunday, August 9, 2009

Takin a Note from Ben Folds and Covering My Redneck Ass

can i just say that it's too hot outside? i mean really? lets just put that out there and get it over with.

so. home this weekend. it was magical. and by magical i mean it reminded me why i'm glad i will never live in braxton county under my own free will again. i could not handle that lifestyle again. too small town, too many ppl in everyone elses business. shitty chinese food. you couldn't pay me to spend more than a weekend.

anyway. the family reunion was today. which means yesterday mammaw was in freak out cleaning mode. i did things like... polish the washer and dryer. and bleach the top of the trashcan. and dust that 2 inch crack of space btwn the fridge and the cabinets. if anyone but mammaw had asked me to do something like this, i'd call them crazy. but, i'd do anything for mammaw. hell. i probably would move home if she needed me to. but we got her already spotless house extra spotless, and got paid off in garden food, which i for one will not ever turn down.

then she made us go visit aunt grace in the nursing home, which absolutely breaks my heart. aunt grace is mammaws aunt, so she's pretty much older than jesus. she used to be one of my particular favorite relatives. now she doesnt know me at all and i had to introduce myself and remind her who i was several times in the 2 hrs we visited. she tried to get me to spring her out of her 'jail' but luckily she forgot who i was right before i left. this is the part of getting older that scares me. i dont know what i'm going to do when mammaw doesn't know who i am. that will absolutely kill me.

but happier thoughts. laura and i decided since we were home, we had to go to the county fair. let me state here and now i've not been to the fair in probably 4 years, and even then i was probably intoxicated. but sober we went. and you always forget how many people come to this bc it's (sadly) the biggest thing in the tri-county area. we had to park in a field out past the mudbog. oh yes. i said mudbog. so we decided we were going to be badasses and ride the rides. only, everyone else had the same idea. we stood in line for the first and last ride we experienced for over an hour. granted that hour gave us ample time to oogle strangers. let me just say that in a tshirt and jeans, i was overdresses. i am fascinated by the number of people who are cool with playing up the hillbilly stereotype. the ride however was fun. thats the best i can say for it. some country music, a funnel cake, and running into some people i hadnt seen in years including my elementary best friend and his 3 kids, and i was more than ready to go home. but rememeber, we parked out in the bog. and everyone else decided it would be a good idea to leave when we did. we got in teh car at 1030 and i got home at 1am. on an average day, this drive would take 12 minutes tops. it did give me time to catch up with laura, which i am greatful for, but damn. it should not take that long to go home.

so family reunion day. hot. disgustingly hot. i'm going to melt hot. but oooh good food. i'm ok with putting up with crazy people asking me why i'm not married and am i ok with the fact that laura will be married before i will be as long as i have my grandma's green beans and a hot roll. but btwn the heat, my family, and whatever it is at home that i'm allergic to, i had/have/feel like i will have forever a splitting headache. i was very glad to get back to my tiny hole in the air conditioning. i think the evil dog is too, bc she's been asleep all evening in the chair right infront of the air vent. and i may or may not have watched Mamma Mia for the eighty four thousandth time. and i love ABBA. and i love this song most of all. plus it helps with all the mens in swimming trunks...

anyway. my brain hurts. and not just from my headache.

meh.

No comments: