Monday, April 4, 2011

Settin My Life to Music: 2005 - 2007

We're getting close now! I promise!

2005 - This is the first year I actually have a car at college. You don't realize how much you don't go anywhere. ever. until you finally have a car. And then you find reasons to go to wal-mart at 3am, just bc you can. (and also bc the most interesting people are there at that time. you should go check it out. take a camera.) and at this time I actually had a cd player in the car (michael stole it) and would listen to a handful of the same cds constantly. One was the OC soundtrack, another was the grey album (michaels choice) and then my favorite: Cake's Prolonging the Magic. it's the perfect soundtrack for driving aimlessly around the greater morgantown area. i know all the backroads around town bc of this time period. i dont remember when this cd first came out. wiki says 98. you'd think i'd have heard of them since they do/did a lot of stuff with ben folds. but. oh well. When You Sleep is a particular favorite. so is Mexico. when you have to get out of your mind for awhile, cake is there to help you out.

2006 - lets see. i graduated this year. realize i had no idea in the world what the eff to do with my life, and felt that the best cop-out was to keep going to school. employ-ability wise it was a good decision. class and learning wise it was stupid. but we'll get there in the next song. this year i was trying incredibly hard to be positive about life. i listened to a lot of Rusted Root's Send Me on My Way and Keane's Crystal Ball. whats strange is i am having an incredibly hard time to come up with any specific memories for this particular year. although i can remember the smell of a candle that i bought at value city in uniontown. it smelled like bamboo (thats what the label said anyway. to me it smelled like freshly showered boy). oh! i remembered one. this is when i worked for the Univ. Press! how could i forget that? if i loved books before (and we all know i did) this completely sent me over the moon. getting to help lay out and edit and even design a cover for a book, these things dazzled me. i spent all my extra time there. if for nothing else than to get away from the relationship that i was in at that time that was slowly but surely crumbling all around me. i dont regret it, any of it. but it didnt really help my life outlook. hence the music choices.

2007. grad school. i have so many words for the next two years on here that i cant even find a way to express them. good. bad. happy. sad. delirious. shattered. hopeful. pessimistic. i met my best friend this year, and that changed my life. i painted my kitchen pepto bismol pink to try to liven my life up. i got a chunk bitten out of my ear by a very loving but hyper weimaraner. i cried. a lot. i got lied to. a lot. i laid in bed in the summer with the windows open and a fan blowing the warm air and construction sounds in hoping that this moment in time would never end. but they always end. and then somehow it brings you right back to do it all over again. I had my ringtone on my phone set to Blue's Traveler's Hook that year. it was entirely too fitting. would i change anything? maybe. do i appreciate it for what it was? obviously. but do i want to rehash it all over again and again and again? no. no i dont.


i really hope you all still love me even though i make very bad musical choices.

No comments: