Saturday, April 2, 2011

Settin My Life to Music: 1999 - 2001

holy cow we're getting up into the 2000's today. i'm sorry if i'm boring you. but. deal with it.

1999 - i went through my helpless romantic phase when i had my first 'real boyfriend' i say real as in the fact that i went out in public with him and he was a senior while i was a freshman. i'm pretty sure that's as real as it gets. at that point in life, anyway. 99 is also the year that Macy Gray came into MTV play. and her voice annoys the shit out of me to this day, but I Try takes me right back to sobbing in my bedroom when said boyfriend dumped me for another senior girl, when i had ALREADY BEEN LOOKING FOR PROM DRESSES. i mean come on. my life was over. my smiles were just a front. just a froooooooont. i hate this song. but i wrote the lyrics all over pretty much everything i owned that year.

2000 - I feel like i need to preface this with the fact that while growing up I was (and still am) really good friends with the only full African American in all of the braxton county school system. and there was a lot of racism still, which is total bullshit, but i never thought twice about being friends with barb. i'd known her since 3rd grade and she's always been a great friend. and being a great friend, she really felt obligated to open up my mind to new music. i call this my almost-hip hop phase. And when Sisqo came out with the Thong Song, well that just turned my whole musical world upside down. and she taught me the dance. if i'm drunk enough, i will probably still do it for you. but this white girl should not be attempting that mess in public. and can i tell you how embarrassed i was when i asked mom to PLEEEEASE buy me that cd while they were at the mall one saturday, and she couldnt remember the artist and asked the cute salesboy if there was a singer called something like Cruize. cruize! this sounds nothing like sisqo! luckily the salesboy figured it out and i was soon hidden away in my room doing the dance to myself. and frankly, thats where it should stay. forever.

2001 - This really and truly was my introduction to ska. Ska is such a brilliant conglomeration of horns that when I heard my friend steff's brother's band, i was in love. my friend karl took it upon himself to teach me the wise ways of ska music. the Aquabats. The Hippos. Less than Jake. Catch 22. buy my number one love? Reel Big Fish. i could listen to Beer and skank (a very particular form of dancing practiced only by true devotees of ska music. also called 'erratic shuffling.') all day with my blue sunglasses and my orange plaid shirt. i was the shit. trombones were the shit. trumpets were the shit. trying Baja Rosa for the first time and getting violently sick after was the shit. listening to this now i want to go put it all in my ipod immediately for something to run to. ska music made me energetic. ska music was my first form of anti-depressants.

No comments: