Sunday, April 3, 2011

Settin My Life to Music: 2002 - 2004

2002 is the year i graduated high school. at the time this was the most terrifying thing that had ever happened to me, unless you count that time a redneck pulled a knife on me on the bus. but this is a whole different kind of terrifying. that year my friend steff, who introduced me to ska music and baja rosa, was our class valedictorian. and bc steff refused to be like any cookie-cutter speaker, she decided to one-up the world and sing and play acoustic guitar for her speech. and of course what song totally describes the shit out of your teenage life? Green Day's Good Riddance .
now. at this point i had an on again off again relationship with Green Day. i think my major beef was that billie joe looked better in eyeliner and mascara than i did. but this song, it brought the house down. an entire graduating class and their mothers were a sobbing mess. who cares that i bedazzled my cap and gown? who cares that i wore neon green flipflops (also bedazzled) and thought i was a badass? steff hoped i had the time of my life! and i did. oh i did.

2003. will always and forever amen be spring break. i was at that point in my life i was very good at creating mixtape cds. (what do you call them, mixcds? that sounds stupid) that year me and three of my best friends decided we had to take a road trip to NC for spring break. no booze cruise showing our t-wordies like normal people did. we just wanted an excellent drive with excellent music. and Sublime was our excellent music of choice that year. the acoustic cd to be specific. Boss DJ was the song that I, for some reason, put on our road trip cd 5 times. and we sang along and loved it every single time. when we finally got to the ocean, for one night, we sat on the beach freezing our asses off each attempting to play steffs guitar and sing this song. The DJ did not stop the music and was feelin' the same way too. sand and surf and sublime.

2004 - this was the year that i seriously cracked up for the first time. for some reason i can only put those memories into context with Silverchair songs. Across the Night for one. in all reality it was a really horrible year all around for me and i'd rather not think about it. but listening to silverchair now makes me feel incredibly melancholy and want to curl up with a blanket. the end.

No comments: