Thursday, March 31, 2011

Settin My Life to Music: 1993-1995

i swear i'm going to get over the embarrassment of 1992. i really am. honestly.

1993- This isn't when I started dance class, but its the first memory I actually remember of dance. and while i love love loved class, i hated the recitals at the end of the year. not that i didn't love getting to dress up and wear make-up and have my hair stand at even more epic proportions. bc i did love those things. as much as a half-blind, braces wearing, skinny ass girl with BANGS can love it. but the song that will forever define my dance career (and i say that incredibly liberally) was Taco's version of Puttin on the Ritz. i'm fairly certain at one time or another every single class had to dance to this song as it was an easy fall back number. but i felt so sassy! with my little cane and fancy sequined leotard. (ps, watch the video for this song bc it's weird as hell) at any rate. dance class was a big big part of my life up until i started college and sometimes i miss it dearly and sometimes i cant believe i let myself look that stupid and gangly in public. but i could probably still put on a top hat and step tap step tap step tap step tap STOMP shuffle shuffle shuffle.

1994 - in 4th grade once a week we were required to have music time. which meant our teacher got out the record player (i'm 98% it was a record and not a cassette, i went to a fairly poor school) and we had to learn random ass songs from this book we were provided with. and i scoured youtube trying to find this but it isn't even there to prove to you. but my class, my little WASP class, loved us some chanukah music. did we know what chanukah was? hell no. but when youre in 4th grade and something can burn for 8 days and nights? well thats just awesome. more awesome than that time we all got detention for having a glue fight while the substitute teacher was in the rest room. like many of these other songs, i can still sing it, at least 80%. and i'm totally not sorry. that was as multi-cultural as small town WV got.

1995 - the very first cd that i saved up for and bought all by myself. why in the world did i think Ace of Base was a good choice? Oh I saw the Sign. and it did not open up my eyes. if anything i probably regressed a few years. but i was sorta allowed to watch MTV again and if they told me this was amazing, and the 7th grade cheerleaders told me it was amazing, then it was amazing. and i listened to it over and over and over. and in waiting for dance class to begin me and all of the other girls my age would sing this and try to do the dance moves (which watching the video now is just a lot of jazz hands and spinning while trying to look seductive). i swear i blame all of these women on my horrible hair decisions. I SAW THE SIGN. AND IT OPENED UP MY MIND.

oh oh ooooh.

No comments: