Monday, March 28, 2011

Settin My Life to Music: 1984 - 1986

1984: my mom singing me the hymn "How Great Thou Art"

This song will always be forever ingrained in my memory of being little and living in the old house. I had a small (major) fear of the dark and mom would have to read to us before bed. To get her to stay longer, I'd make her sing, especially if it was storming outside. The only song I remember clearly though is this one. I've grown up hearing it in church but I will always associate it with mom. And I honestly think I like storms now completely based on the fact that she always sang this for me when it stormed. We had a tin roof and my bed was right beside the window. that is a good memory.

1985: The Gummi Bears Theme Song

How can I not have one cartoon song in there? I wanted to BE a gummi bear. I loved this show so much and would hop around the house before, during, and after. Bouncing here and there and everywhere. If anything, all the bouncing got me outside more often, which lets all get real, I needed. I turned the yard into Gummi Glen and tried to convince everyone that kool-aid was gummiberry juice. (not a loser, i promise)

1986: Songs from the My Little Pony movie

I swear I've talked about this movie recently, but I LOVED THIS MOVIE. We had it on VHS taped off of tv. And when I watch it now I can STILL sing along to all the songs. and now I appreciate and find hilarious that the characters are voiced by Cloris Leachman, Danny DeVito, Madeline Kahn, Rhea Perlman, etc etc etc. I would line up my ponies and sit and watch the movie with them and have a glorious time. (side note: this is why I fully support putting kids in daycare at some point before they go to school bc then they wont be socially retarded and consider plastic ponies some of your best friends)

This is probably the most boring part of my music selection. It gets much much more embarrassing as the years go on.

No comments: