Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Settin My Life to Music: 1990-1992

hopefully you aren't getting bored of this yet, bc you better believe it's going all the way.

1990- since i think of kindergarten that year (even though it was 89-90 whatevernessness) i immediately think of aunt beth. i was incredibly lucky to have my aunt as my first teacher. if anything it helped slightly with my social retardedness, even though i couldnt process why i should have to call her 'mrs. atkins' instead of 'aunt beth.' and i dont think i ever did. but. the song i think of, and which obviously will not be on youtube, is singing the months of the year. we would go thru each month with a little tune set to it, and always end it 'and then we start all over again.' i still hadnt mastered the whole tying my shoe bit, but by God, i could sing the shit out of those months.

1991 - How could this year possibly not be all the songs from Beauty and the Beast? This was probably the second or third movie I got to see in the theatre and it BLEW MY MIND. still to this day it's my favorite of the disney cartoon movies. i appreciated that finally there was a girl with brown hair and brown eyes. I wanted to BE Belle and have angela lansbury sing to me a song that still makes me almost tear up, if i still had the ability to produce tears. when we finally got this on vhs i watched it on near-constant repeat. when we went to disneyworld for my 10th birthday i made everyone sit through the shortened play version, in the scorching sun, while the lines for the rides were actually short, bc i was not going to miss a moment of it. i always wanted that gold dress. maybe i secretly still do.

1992 - Now. this one, it's embarrassing. But at least I know that 99% of you bastards also enjoyed this song at the time. Uggh, I'm almost ashamed to type it out. Achy Breaky Heart. what in the name of everything good and holy in this world were we thinking?? buddy let me tell you at recess, this was our JAM. i even had an achy breaky heart t-shirt from the milton flea market that was black with a neon rainbow heart (obviously broken in 2 pieces) with the title underneath. i thought i was a rockstar with that shirt. i wore it at LEAST once a week. in hindsight, the mullet should have given it away.

No comments: