Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Settin My Life to Music: 1987-1989

1987: My family liked to listen to the 'oldies' if you will, especially if we were around my grandparents. we had one cassette tape that i LOVED when i was little that I always wanted played on long car trips. I think it was a mixtape bc I dont remember it having any rhyme or reason, but when I think of it I think of two things specifically: going to the beach and the song Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini . in fact i remember very clearly throwing a fit over the fact that my bathing suit was not going to be yellow polka dots. instead it was pink with mickey and minnie mouse. who didn't want to be the yellow polka dot bikini girl? it made the car ride (which at that age seemed to take months and months instead of just 8 hours) seem a little more bearable. I'm sure by the end of the trip my parents wanted to throw it out the window it was played so many times, but i would shake my little butt in my booster seat with my big sunglasses on and sing it at the top of my lungs. this is actually a really really good memory.

1988 - I'm saving the Beach Boys for this particular year even though they have been a major part of my life all the way around. uncle larry would quiz us on which beach boy was which and what the name of the song was and which album it was on. Beach Boys were very much the soundtrack of my childhood. However one specific song, Little Honda, will always stand out to me (and here you'd have thought it would have been something like "Wouldn't it be Nice" (which i do love, but not for the same reasons)) because that song makes me think of all the time at mammaws house playing with michael and laura. to say they were my only friends up until age 6 would not be a lie, and even that would be a stretch considering michael and i were mean as hell to each other all the time. but everyone needs a frenemy i guess? i digress. the tree of us spent a majority of our time at either our house, my grandmas, or laura's grandmas house. our house equaled playing outside with my collie (who i still to this day miss dearly), grandma ruth's meant chocolate chip cookies and british cartoons, and mammaws meant jumping on the trampoline to the beach boys. i'm pretty sure that laura and i had a specific dance (or arm motions, i guess its hard to call it dancing when you're jumping on a tiny ass trampoline) for Little Honda, and we'd play it on repeat on mammaw's ginormous stereo. you know the kind that old people had, that took up half a wall and also played records. if michael wouldnt play school with us (which he rarely did, the bastard. all bc i'd always put him in detention), then the Beach Boys could save the day. even i wanted to be the California girl.

1989. This is where shit starts getting embarrassing. (All songs prior to this were clearly just adorable in my adorable tiny adorableness) When we were little, before we started mimicking everything we saw on tv, my parents still watched MTV. and that is where i fell in love with the Bangles. The Hair! The clothes! The guitars! The Egyptian Walking! I wont even lie to you when i say that I can still sing every word to Walk Like an Egyptian. I think I spent the better part of age six walking like an egyptian. not sorry. when it was time to bath i would line up all my california raisins and my smurfs and my snorks along the tubwall and serenade them with this song. over and over and over and over. If anything, I'd like to personally blame the Bangles for my hair (especially the BANGS) that cursed the next 12 years of my life.

and that folks, takes us through the 80s. you think i'm a hot mess now? just you wait.

No comments: